Wednesday, February 25, 2009

New Mexico

I can hardly mention the state of New Mexico in my dorm. If I do, whatever statement I was planning on saying is inevitably interrupted by the moans of all of my friends. It’s not that they have any problem with the state. No, they complain because of me; it is safe to say that I reminisce about my home state at least once a week. For some reason, I have become unbearably nostalgic about the entire identity of New Mexico. The food, the weather, the scenery—I crave it all of the time.
New Mexican "rivers", home of the cutthroat trout. Yes, I memorized my state fish.



I did not always have this infatuation with Albuquerque. In high school, it was common to refer to Albuquerque with disdain. It seemed as if my friends and I had exhausted every benefit imaginable, so many of our nights were spent playing video games or poker. New Mexican food, because it was so abundant, was never something I craved. I simply ate it. Now, I can hear green chile calling me before I fall asleep. William Blake wrote in his poem, “A Divine Image,” that “The human face a furnace sealed, the human heart its hungry gorge.” [1] In my case, the furnace was the burn of the chile, and my love for the taste was the insatiable chasm. Here in Texas, where there is great pride in their attempt at Mexican food, I am seen as a snob or picky. Sadly, these people don’t realize how naive they are. In fact, I was naive until I came here. Now that I can’t find breakfast burritos or Christmas enchiladas (a mix of red chile and green chile), I am fully aware of the miraculous cuisine I left behind.

That green sauce that's on everything--that's what I love.


Even the weather is better in New Mexico. When an Austinite tries to explain how wonderful the “low-humidity” is, I feel obliged to modify Hopkins poem, “Spring”: “Nothing is so beautiful as Spring”—in New Mexico. [2] With zero percent Humidity and rain that has a scent, there are few places that compare. Again, while I lived in the state I never realized this fact. It wasn’t until my college search during senior year that I realized there was such a thing as 100% humidity. I also feel like I am losing touch with nature. This is probably due to my lack of a car, but there is something to be said about the scenery in northern New Mexico. Mountains of epic proportions are abundant, hikes can lead through aspen groves, and camping in complete isolation is easy. When I am hiking in these parts, I realize how powerful nature is. Like Barney says in the poem “On Greer Island a Copperhead Lies Slain”, the animals are “the owners of [the] isle.” [3] It makes me realize how unnatural humans have become.




If you haven't been through an aspen grove, I reccommend it.


I’m not sure if I’ll ever stop craving green chile, but I hope I don’t. It certainly dominates my diet whenever I make it back for a break. It, as well as the weather and culture, will always remind me of something that is more satisfying than food: home. Although people may not realize it, the place where they grew up is special to them for reasons they sometimes can’t explain—even New Jersey has its fans. Austin is amazing, and I am excited for the coming years in Austin. Still, if you want to hear anyone rave about the “Land of Enchantment”, you know who to talk to.






One of the many great New Mexican ski resorts.

[1] A 146

[2] A 164

[3] A 162

No comments: