Monday, March 23, 2009

Sid and Me


Not your typical location for philosophical discussions...

This spring break, I participated in one of the most ridiculous arguments of all time. Although I’m not exactly sure how it began, as I jumped in partway through, from what I gathered it started with the value of traveling abroad and ended with the meaning of life. When it came to be my turn, I started my explanation in an unconventional way. It went something like this:

What is the purpose of a tree? I know that they produce oxygen, nourishment, shelter, etc. That’s all dandy. But when you really think about it, why do trees exist? More importantly, where are they going? I can’t imagine that trees are working towards an ultimate goal, or that they will evolve and eventually turn into an unquestionably perfect organism. They have no significant impact on the universe, and they don’t really care whether they live or die.

Trees: they're everywhere! Why?

The majority of the group participating in the argument agreed with this, so I proceeded to the more controversial aspect:

So, if trees, an effective organism that will exist as long as conditions allow it to, are essentially trudging onward without a purpose, why are humans different? Just because we are aware, just because we have feelings, perceptions, goals, and cognitive reasoning does not mean that our existence is any less pointless. We too are not evolving towards anything, there is no ultimate “end” that we will reach and say, “Well, that was a good run. Good job guys.” We, like trees, are simply reproducing and churning about in an essentially directionless existence. Once you think about it, our existence isn’t only insignificant; it’s pointless.


People: they're everywhere! WHY?

At this point in the argument I was assaulted with a raucous. “Existentialism is stupid…You can’t just dismiss…Are you saying you don’t care if you die…Why do you even argue then?” After a few minutes of calming the group down, I was allowed to proceed:

Well, even if our existence is pointless, I still want to be a part of it. I have no issues working towards nothing; I have no problems with humanity following an endless path. Think of all of the amazing things around us. A tree, for example, is one of the most beautiful organisms on the planet. Who doesn’t want to visit the oak at the end of Shawshank Redemption and sit under its cool canopy? If there is no meaning in our world, then it is our job to make the best of it. In fact, maybe that is the meaning.


One of the most epic trees I have ever seen.

After my speech, the argument immediately transformed into something else (I think it moved towards how intolerance is the root of all war), but the verbalization of my world view helped me align my own thoughts. Since the conversation, I have been looking for my own “meaning” to give my life, and I’m certain that it will take many years to find it. Still, when reading the end of Siddhartha, a few of his views really hit home. For example, when he described his realization that all parts of the world were meant to exist together, I agreed completely. “The longing voice, however, changed. It still resounded with suffering and seeking, but other voices had joined it: voices of joy and suffering, good and evil, laughter or sadness.”[1] Later, Sid realizes that “All the voices belonged together…All was one.”[2] I too realized that the pointless aspects of life and the ones I care about were all part of the same thing. Every part of my life was dependent on the other.

At that moment, I realized that perhaps one of the goals of my life could be to embrace and enjoy every part, just as Siddhartha does at the end of the novel. “Perhaps I intended to say that I love this stone, and the river, and all the things at which we are looking and from which we can learn. I can love a stone, Govinda, as well as a tree or a piece of bark.”[3] Although I am far from achieving nirvana, and though I may pursue it in an unconventional way, I’ve found that it fits well with my goals. If I can give meaning to my tragically puny life in this tragically large universe, and that meaning is to be able to love all of it, then I won’t be that bad off. Hopefully I can make the transition from being a “seeker” and “make some time for finding.”

[4]

[1] Sid 126
[2] Sid 126
[3] Sid 135
[4] Sid 130

No comments: